Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Fighting Alone

As part of our business, we often talk to cancer patients.  Ryan really does most of that.  I do more of the sales and processing.  Ok, I really just pack boxes.  Ryan does all the consultations.  This is partly because he knows more about all the products than I do, but it's also because when the phone rings when I'm here by myself with the kids, it would be unprofessional to have children making children type noises in the background.

Today I was in the kitchen making a pumpkin cheesecake with Ainsley when the phone rang.  Most of the time, I pick up the phone to look at the number.  I check if it's someone I know or if it's a customer.  I went to do that today but I hit the talk button while I fumbled with the phone.

It was a cancer patient.  And it was sobering for me to talk with her.  She is doing the Gerson therapy.  We fully support and believe in this therapy and have since we started our business in 1998.  But it's tough to do on your own.  It requires a lot of work including a lot of juicing. 

Most people that do this therapy have a care taker.  This woman did not.  She called looking for a water distiller.  I could tell quickly it was going to be out of her price range.  But I knew she needed to talk.  She broke down on more than one occasion during our brief conversation.

As I hung up the phone, Grace Like Rain was playing on my radio.  It struck me all at once how truly blessed we are.  Here I was making cheesecake for our family and this woman, like countless others, was alone in the fight for her life. 

It was all I could do not to lose it myself.  I hugged my daughter and prayed for this woman.  I prayed that she would find help in her quest for healing.  More importantly, I prayed for Grace to find her so she wouldn't be alone anymore. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails