Monday, September 13, 2010

To Prove or Improve

It seems everywhere I turn lately there have been discussions on conflict.  Like most people, conflict is something that I don't enjoy and have been hurt by in the past. 

Last night in my small group it was my turn to give my testimony.  Much of my testimony revolved around my relationship with a family member when I was younger.  We would fight.  We would scream.  We would cry.  It was really a hurtful time for both of us. 

Yesterday the sermon at church was about Moral Courage in respect to conflict.  Our pastor was talking about how much courage it takes to have Biblical conflict.  There is a cost and yet there can be great reward as well. 

When I got to work today I was reading my daily email from Proverbs 31 ministries.  It spoke of using conflict as an opportunity to grow.

In combination with yesterday's sermon, it hit me like a ton of bricks.  Every conflict that I had with my family member was about being right.  It was about winning an argument.  It was my competitive spirit (which is a topic for another day) that I used as an excuse to push the arguments further.  And frankly, it was the same trait in my family member as well.

And over the years we have both grown.  And we have forgiven.  And we have learned to love in order to improve and not just to prove.  Amen and Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails