Tuesday, January 31, 2012

What's in a Name?

I always thought it would be so fun to name children.  In reality I have found it just the opposite.  I find it to be an impossible task and with both my kids I have had periods of doubt after they were born and named.  Don't get me wrong, I love their names but they are so permanent that the fear of making a mistake just gets to me. 

With this baby, we did not know whether it was a boy or a girl and therefore had to pick out 2 names.  The girl's name was set from day 1.  The boys name wasn't set until we actually met him.  I had a feeling his name would be what it was but we just weren't sure. 

David's name does have quite a bit of significance though and so I wanted to share it with you.  It's not a hidden fact in my life that my father and I have not always gotten along.  There was a period of time when we actually didn't like each other at all.  I actually wouldn't even stay at his house when I came home from college. 

BUT God's grace is bigger than either of our sinful hearts.  God healed both of our hearts and today my dad is one of the most important people in my life.  He is a friend, an advisor, and a father.  I couldn't ask for anything more. 

And so when we thought about a first name, my dad's name came to mind quickly:  David.  It doesn't hurt that the name also has such strong biblical significance - "a man after God's own heart".


When it came to a middle name, the choice was obvious.  How could we not name our son after his father?  Ryan is such an amazing dad that it seems fitting to name his son after him.  He's my rock and the leader of this family.  And his name's meaning is pretty gtood too - "Little Prince".


So my prayer for you little David Ryan is that you live up to your name.  Those are some pretty big shoes to grow into but we have faith in the man you will become.  God has big plans for you and we trust in Him to fulfill them.  And I am just so happy that the 3 most important men in my life are forever linked by their names. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails