Tuesday, May 15, 2012

All Clear

Our family has a history of Urinary reflux (a disorder where the valves from the kidneys into the bladder don't form properly and urine refluxes back up into the kidneys causing infections and potentially kidney damage).  It started with my sister Jill then went to Wendy and then me.  Both of my sisters had surgery to correct it.  I grew out of it when I was in 3rd grade. We didn't think much of it until my sister Jill's little boy popped up with it when he was an infant.  That has led to every child who is born into our family being tested for it.

We tested Ainsley when she was 8 weeks old.  She had it.  It only took a year for her to grow out of it.  We were so incredibly grateful for that.  My sister's both have had children who have had to have surgery to correct it, one more advanced than the other.

When David was born, we knew that we would be making a visit to the urologist.  I dreaded it.  But at 2 days shy of 4 months, Ryan and I brought our happy baby to the hospital to be tested.


He had no idea what he was in for.  Everyone in the lobby was just enamored by how cute he is.

Then it was our turn to go back.  They put him on this large table and prepped him to be catheterized.  Still happy.
Even after he was catheterized, he was still happy.  I personally think that's because they essentially swaddled him in this velcro suit and he was snug as bug.

Then they started filling his bladder and watching to see if it refluxed.  This part he did not like at all.  We had to try and keep him calm so he wouldn't pee all the liquid out before they could get accurate pictures.  We tried lullabies on my iPhone.  We tried Baby Einstein videos.  Eventually the only thing that worked was some extreme breastfeeding, but we will keep those  pictures to ourselves!

He was a trooper.  By the time we were done at the hospital and eating lunch, he was wiped out.  And so was I due to a random fever that popped up in the middle of this whole thing!


We met with the doctor later that afternoon to find out the best news of all.  David does not have one sign of reflux!  We couldn't be more thrilled.  Our baby is happy and definitely healthy.
Just look at those rolls!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails