Monday, January 19, 2009

My Inner Yankee

Yesterday after church was over, Ryan and I spent some time talking with our new associate pastor who recently moved here from Wisconsin. We were talking about his adjustment to living in NC and he said that it was a big adjustment. He listed a few reasons why but one of the reasons was the major cultural differences.

I am from Connecticut and have lived in the south for 8 of the past 12 years. I understand his comment. There are parts of me that I have given over to the south, but there are parts of me that will always be “Yankee”. Here are just a few examples:

  • I move quickly - I drive fast. I talk fast. I shower fast.
  • People who move slowly drive me nuts (this includes Ryan at times. I can't tell you how often I'm waiting for him at the front door with my coat on)
  • I say what I think and therefore I am quick to offend people with my bluntness.
  • A toboggan will always be a sled to me.
  • I don't look total strangers in the eye when passing them in a hall or in a mall or on the street. I will always look away.
  • I love the Fall and I do not consider NC “color” to be the same as New England “color”
There are things that I have fully embraced about the South. Here are a few of my favorites:
  • I love biscuits. (I may have had this one before but it is stronger now!)
  • The chivalry that still exists here that means people will open doors for you
  • The strong Christian presence
  • The Spring that lasts longer than 5 minutes and comes in March at the latest.
  • I love that you can swim in the ocean in September
I believe that I am becoming a nice mix of both North and South, but in the deepest parts of my soul I will always be a Yankee.

1 comment:

  1. I am from Baltimore and I second that... A hat goes on your head and you sit on a toboggan and I detest walking behind, driving behind, or talking to SSSLLLOOOWWWW people. Ask Ryan how many speeding tickets I've gotten.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails