Tuesday, July 20, 2010

A Connection to the Past

Recently I have been thinking quite a bit about how many things that our mothers and grandmothers did that I don't know how to do.  It's really sad to me that we are losing some of these valuable skills that they had.  And what is it in favor of? Convenience and ease. 

I already know how to make bread, bake, knit, and crochet.  And so this summer I have gone on an adventure of teaching myself a new "old" skill.  Canning. 

It's really quite addicting.  I love looking at those jars of food all ready for use in the pantry.  There is something rewarding about seeing the fruits of your labor.  And I have more tomatoes lined up and plans to can them with my friend Laura.  How exciting.


In case you were wondering, that's black beans, pickles, and tomato sauce.

And so today I celebrate the gift of learning something "old".  Go over to Emily's blog and find out what everyone else is celebrating.

tuesdays unwrapped at cats

3 comments:

  1. I have been wanting to try this too. Looks like fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've had similar feelings that make me want to sew and quilt. Unfortunately, the GTCC sewing class I took was not very helpful! Here's to productivity!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that stored-up feeling! Your goods look swoony. :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails