Monday, September 29, 2008

All's Well That Ends Well

My first day of work actually started yesterday afternoon. I have 2 different nannies that are watching Ainsley while I work. MaryBeth is a young mom of an 18 month old and Ann is a grandmother. Monday is a MaryBeth day. I was getting ready for small group last night when the phone rang. It was MaryBeth. She told Ryan that another child in the nursery at church that morning had come down with Hand Foot and Mouth disease. Her son Robbie was exposed. She didn't know if he had it yet but wanted to let us know. We quickly googled it before small group to realize that it is highly contagious and really nasty. Ainsley wasn't going to go over there. Time for Plan B.

I knew that we would need a Plan B at some point so I had arranged a few different options. 1. Ryan's mom who lives 2 miles away. 2. Ann 3. My friend Leah. So I started at the top. Ryan's mom was in Boone visiting my sister-in-law. Ann had to bring someone to get an MRI this morning. Leah's mom was in from out of town. That was it. My list was exhausted. Just as I was getting ready to call Ryan's mom to come home, I realized that Ryan's Dad's girlfriend, Deb, might be an option. I went out on a limb and called. Graciously, Deb agreed to help me out.

So at 7:20 this morning, Deb arrived at my house. Ainsley was awake and happy. She gave me quite a few smiles and I walked away. I cried the whole way to work. I teared up quite a few times this morning as people would ask me how I was. I called to check on her at 10 and she was screaming. She had woken up mid-nap. Deb quickly got her calmed down while I was on the phone. I called again at 12 and she was up and happy.

By the end of the day, I was helping a co-worker solve a problem with a website user. It felt good to be back.

I got home at 2:20 and Ainsley had just been put down for a nap. I went in to check on her and she wasn't quite asleep yet. She looked up at me with those beautiful eyes and gave me a big smile.

The day got off to a rough start but it sure ended well.

1 comment:

  1. Glad that work ended up okay. I'm sure everyone is extremely excited to have you back, even though I know how hard it is to leave your little one. Hope you have a good day today. :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails